1. Give us a brief bio of yourself, name, age, where you're from, up bringing?
I'm Robin Thomas and I'm 25 years old (with 26 approaching in less than two weeks, lol). I'm a Cleveland native, graduate of Collinwood High School and an alumna of Wilberforce University, class of 2006.
2. What is your current occupation?
I'm currently the Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Polished Cleveland Magazine. I've also recently become Copy Editor for The FreshXpress.
3. When did you decide that this career was what you wanted to pursue in life? What and/or who were your influences?
I've always had a passion for writing and knew that I'd be involved in some form of media. My Bachelor's degree is in Mass Media Communications, so this is what I've been preparing for since I entered college. I'm a magazine junkie and I have been since I was a teenager. I, along with my partner Christine Taylor, began to develop Polished a year ago when we recognized a need for a cohesive voice for the young professionals in the Cleveland area. As far as my influences, I've followed the careers of editors like Amy DuBouis Barnett (formerly of Honey Magazine), Susan L. Taylor (formerly of Essence Magazine), Emil Wilbekin, Danyel Smith (formerly of Vibe Magazine) and Tina Brown (The Daily Beast).
4. I'm sure you have run into many obstacles while pursuing your dream. How did you overcome them?
The biggest obstacle I've discovered is being taken seriously as a business WOMAN. There are a lot of stereotypes about women in business, especially in a business so closely linked to entertainment. And truthfully, a lot of those stereotypes are earned. I've learned to not take it personally when I'm underestimated because I'm confident that the work I do will kill whatever preconceived notions people may have.
5. What qualities do you embody that you think are contributing to your success?
Wow. I think the the biggest contributor to my success thus far is my passion for what I do. Polished is so closely connected to who I am because it's a publication for people like me who are just trying to nail down the concept of what it truly means to be an adult. The love that I put into it I think makes it genuine. I've never had to sell anyone on Polished. I think my passion has a lot to do with that.
7. Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years? In a perfect world what would u be doing?
In five years, I plan to be a librarian. Sounds boring but I'm such a nerd at heart that working in a library would be heaven for me. I'd like to see Polished as the voice of Cleveland's young professional community by that time and I'll more than likely be doing some freelance writing on the side just for fun.
8. If there were one thing you wanted everyone to know about you what would it be?
Hmmm. One thing about me that people should know? That I'm actually quite simple. There are a lot of people who want to paint the "I'm larger than life! I'm the ultimate hustler!" image and that's not me. I do believe in hard work, but if I can fulfill my purpose while living a peaceful, balanced life, I'll take that above being the millionaire who gets "no days off." Can I have it all and do it all? Of course. But I'd much rather have a nice manageable piece of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment